39-year old forward Charles Smith (198-F-75) had a great game in the last round for second-ranked Newcastle E. and receives a Eurobasket.com Player of the Week award for round 4.
He had a double-double of 32 points and 11 rebounds, while his team beat Cheshire P. (1-4) 88-81. Newcastle E. is placed at 2nd position in British league. They are still close to the very top. Newcastle E. would have been even better if they kept winning the games like in the last round. They have a solid 4-1 record. In the team’s last game Smith had a remarkable 76.9% from 2-point range. He has many years of experience at Newcastle E., through which he has constantly improved. Rider University graduate has very impressive stats this year. Smith is in league’s top in points (5th best: 18.2ppg), assists (7th best: 4.6apg) and averages solid 57.9% FGP.
Second best performed player last round was Demond Watt (200-F-89) of Cheshire P.. He is American forward in his first season at Cheshire P. In the last game Watt recorded impressive double-double of 22 points and 13 rebounds. Bad luck as Cheshire P. lost that game 81-88 to the higher-ranked Newcastle E. (4-1). Cheshire P. is still second from the bottom in the standings. 4 lost games are too many comparing to just one victory Cheshire P. managed to get this year. Watt is a newcomer at Cheshire P. and quickly became one of team’s most reliable players. He belongs to the best scorers in the league with 18.2ppg (#6). He also registered 12.6 boards per game.
Third place about best performers goes to guard Christopher Jones (183-G-88) of Durham W. Jones showcased his all-around game by recording 15 points, six rebounds and eleven assists (!!!) in the last round. He was a key player of Durham W., leading his team to a 101-88 easy win against the lower-ranked Plymouth R. (2-4). Durham W. needs these victories very badly if they think about getting closer to top teams. Their record at this point is 3 victories and 2 lost games. Jones has a great season in United Kingdom. After only 5 games, he made it on the list of the league’s leaders in assists with 7.2apg (best passer).
Other top performing players last week:
4. Demond Watt (200-F-89) of Cheshire P. – 24 points, 12 rebounds and 2 assists
5. Kramer Knutson (205-F/C-89) of Surrey United – 12 points, 11 rebounds and 3 assists
6. Neil Watson (180-PG-91) of Leicester R. – 21 points, 4 rebounds and 10 assists
7. Chavis Holmes (193-G-86) of Worcester W. – 23 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists
8. Nick Lewis (190-G-93) of Sheffield S. – 20 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists
9. Rahmon Fletcher (177-PG-88) of Newcastle E. – 17 points and 8 assists
10. Ingus Bankevics (195-G/F-85) of Manchester G. – 28 points and 3 assists