Newcastle Eagles head coach Ian MacLeod is looking to add to his coaching staff as part of the growth and development of the club.
We are looking for a successful candidate to work across both our U19 Elite Academy Basketball League (EABL) programme as its head coach and our British Basketball League (BBL) team as an assistant coach, alongside our existing coaching and support staff.
“It is vital we continue to grow and bring quality individuals into the club”, said MacLeod.
“Not just for the support of the current players and coaches, but for the development players we want to see grow through the club.”
To apply: Please send a CV and covering letter by email to [email protected] or alternatively applications can be posted to: Ian MacLeod, Newcastle Eagles, Vertu Motors Arena, Scotswood Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AF
Closing date: Saturday 31 July 2021
JOB TITLE: Head Coach Elite Academy Basketball League (EABL) & Assistant Coach British Basketball League (BBL)
EMPLOYER: Newcastle Eagles Basketball Club
REPORTING TO: BBL Head Coach
SALARY: To be determined. Dependant upon candidate experience
TERM: 12 months, fixed-term contract
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week, includes working on evenings, on weekends and public holidays as required.
LOCATION: Based at the Vertu Motors Arena
Newcastle Eagles Basketball Club are looking to recruit a new role within the organisation to work across areas of the performance structure. The successful candidate will be the EABL head coach and BBL assistant coach whilst also providing private individual and small group sessions.
The successful candidate will lead on all EABL sessions including daily training, individual development and games. This will include ensuring that delivery is of a high standard and in sync with all education and strength & conditioning sessions which the players undertake. The coach must also ensure we are working to governing body and ESFA funding requirements.
As assistant coach to the BBL team, the person will work closely with the head coach, squad and team staff. The person will attend training and games throughout the season alongside other specific duties assigned by the head coach including scouting, video analysis and player development.
Key responsibilities include but not exclusive to:
EABL Head Coach:
- To support and nurture the most talented/highest potential players in particular but not exclusively post 16 level within our programme, and ready them for professional/senior basketball.
- Plan, deliver, evaluate weekday training sessions and directly with EABL players
- Plan, deliver, evaluate EABL home & away matches
- Individual Development Plans for all players enrolled on the Diploma for Sporting Excellence (DiSE) learning programme.
- Four individual evaluation, target setting and ‘next steps’ reviews with each player over the course of the season
- Recruitment and promotion of the academy to yearly u16 player intake
- Collaborating with;
- BBL Head Coach
- DiSE Teaching staff
- Strength & Conditioning Coach
- Physio, Club, Arena and foundation staff members
- Reporting to; BBL Head Coach, Club Owner, Development Manager
BBL Assistant Coach:
- To contribute on a daily basis, to the creating and maintaining of a performance environment within the professional programme.
- Attend BBL training sessions and games.
- Assist in practice planning, game scouting, statistic recording, reviews and delivery as deemed necessary by, and agreed with, Head Coach.
- Transference of principles of play through senior to junior academy players.
- Individual workouts with senior and/or junior players as deemed necessary and reasonable.
- Reporting to; BBL Head Coach, Club Owner
Private Coaching Sessions:
- Plan, Deliver and review high quality individual and small group coaching sessions
- Provide feedback (video/written) and ‘next steps’ to participants
- Promote individual coaching opportunities to the basketball community
- To ensure that accurate records are maintained, and the appropriate paperwork is completed in accordance with GDPR and privacy policies.
- Provide timely reports in accordance with funding or management requirements.
- To understand and implement the policies and procedures as they relate to the delivery; in particular the Date Protection Act, Health and Safety, Equal opportunities and Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults policies, and codes of conduct as they relate to delivery.
- Be committed to and responsible for promoting the welfare of those involved.
- To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required within the parameters of the organisation’s needs.
- To keep up to date with all current practices and legislations and attend training courses as agreed with the Head Coach for continued CPD.
The successful candidate will be asked to apply for an enhanced criminal disclosure check through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). A conviction (spent or unspent) may not exclude candidates from this position but will be considered as part of the recruitment process.
NB: This is not intended to be a full definition of duties and staff will be expected to assist in such other duties as may be allocated. This job description is subject to variation as the needs of the Company may require.
For further information please contact the club on 0191 2453880 or email [email protected]